Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thinking out louad about Cognos Framework Manager

I've been thinking about Cognos Framework Manager.
I think it's anoher overhyped thing.

Sure it can store meta-data that tells Cognos how to join tables, how to generate queries.
But wait a sec!

What are the options here?

  1. Relational model
    Do you really want to create a data warehouse from a relational model? Come on!

  2. DMR model
    This would make some sense... if it wasn't such a poorly implemented feature of Cognos that I can only recommend to avoid it if possible.
  3. OLAP cubes
    In this case the framework doesn't do much, just connects to the cube.

So what's the big deal then?

3 comments:

  1. I've also been thinking about Framwwork Manager!

    It appears to be getting in the way of a project that I'm trying to do!! The project?, to create a data warehouse.

    Currently I'm using FM to design a model that will allow a Finance Dept and an HR Dept to report on everything they need via Report/Analysis Studio. Once I complete this model I was going to then design some ETL to populate it using the production database. But having almost completed this model it virtually allows the users to do what they want, without the DW!!

    I could see the point if we didnt have FM in that a warehouse would be a good solution but now Im thinking, whats the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see FM as merely the conduit to publish tables and define joins in order to access them in RS.

    All that crap about defining star schema's and modelling the correct number of namespaces can be overkill, so long as RS can generate half competent SQL it's a win.

    http://www.cognosdev.wordpress.org/

    ReplyDelete