Thursday, July 31, 2008

Difference in dimensional expressions between RS8.2 and 8.3 - part two

I found another one

code in 8.2

set( emptySet([My Dimension].[My Hierarchy]) )

code in 8.3

set( item(emptySet([My Dimension].[My Hierarchy]),0) )

without the use of item() you get an error
Invalid coercion from 'memberSet' to 'member, measure'
even though the expression validates.

This is important when you want to create prompts that return MUNs but are optional.
As a recap from my older posts optional for a prompt means that it has a default value. The default is ... no members selected
...in other words: empty set

5 comments:

  1. Interesting post. Did you experience any performance differences in 8.3 versus 8.2 with MDX ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't really get to the point with 8.3 where I could compare performance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    Would the syntax for 8.3 also work for 8.4? I am getting the same "Invalid coercion from 'memberSet' to 'member, measure'" error. I am trying to make a multi-select tree prompt optional. Any ideas?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like your expression is returning a memberSet
    and Cognos expect a single member.
    if you use something like the code snippets above then yes, they do return a memberSet...
    so I would look at why Cognos is expecting a single member instead

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate information shared above. It’s of great help. If someone want to learn Online (Virtual) instructor lead live training in IBM COGNOS, kindly contact us http://www.maxmunus.com/contact
    MaxMunus Offer World Class Virtual Instructor led training on IBM COGNOS We have industry expert trainer. We provide Training Material and Software Support. MaxMunus has successfully conducted 100000+ trainings in India, USA, UK, Australlia, Switzerland, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Bahrain and UAE etc.
    For Demo Contact us.
    Saurabh Srivastava
    MaxMunus
    E-mail: saurabh@maxmunus.com
    Skype id: saurabhmaxmunus
    Ph:+91 8553576305 / 080 - 41103383
    http://www.maxmunus.com/


    ReplyDelete